Senior Python Developer
Kortext is the world-leading personal learning platform, providing access to over a million digital textbooks and digital content from over 4,500 of the world’s leading educational publishers, as well as OER content.
The Kortext platform allows students to create a truly personal bookshelf by also downloading course packs, lecture notes, presentation slides, and other subject relevant content, as well as personal ebooks. Kortext provides students with an enhanced learning experience through its range of smart learning tools.
Kortext has seen significant growth in the last 12 months and this role is key to driving our expansion by continuing to build on this success.
What you'll be doing
You will be working in our UK based, business automation and partner integration team, on a range of Digital Transformation, automation, and partner integration projects. While the business is based in Bournemouth this is a fully remote role, but with regular opportunities to meet-up face to face either in Bournemouth or a more central location.
As our most experienced Python developer you will act as a mentor to experienced Analyst Programmers and trainees, where Python may not be their first language.
Working in hybrid Waterfall / Agile environment, with fortnightly sprints, daily virtual stand-ups, and ITIL based IT Service Management.
• Supporting the Architectural design of solutions, services and applications.
• Working with staff across the business to develop Use Cases / User Stories, supporting estimation, sprint planning and learning from retrospectives.
• Working with the team to establish internal Python best practice and standards.
• Development of new systems and services using Python and relevant technologies.
• Ensure we embrace Pythonic principles
• Design & implement automated testing processes for new systems / services, primarily at the Business Process level and Business Process Monitoring.
• Supporting end users with User Acceptance Testing
• Support live applications, through ITIL based Incident and Problem processes.
• Ensure Business Process Monitoring is in place and service delivery is being optimised.
What experience will you need
• You will understand the importance of outstanding customer service, be able to focus on immediate needs / outcomes whilst keeping sight of the strategic roadmap.
• You will love books and making these available and accessible to as many people as possible.
• You will be a self-motivated, lifelong learner, with a proven ability to learn new skills in a quickly evolving IT and Business landscape.
• We are looking for classic T shaped developers, with broad business and full life-cycle IT development skills.
• Core Python,
• Good grasp of a web framework, Flask or Django,
• You should consider Python your main programming language and follow what is happening in the Python Eco-system, the PEP’s which are being worked on and the features and benefits of new release.
• Minimum 5 years of commercial IT experience developing high performance back-office or Server-Side applications.
• Solid communication skills / soft skills, and attention to detail.
• Ability to teach and mentor other staff.
• Ability to work alone, remotely, and also as a member of a remote working team.
• Excellent emotional intelligence, awareness of the needs of other people and how you respond and adapt to them.
• Salesforce integration experience
• Book / Publishing industry experience
• API / EDI Integration
• XML processing
• Azure platform (fundamentals, concepts, architecture, storage & compute)
• Azure Logic Apps
• Azure Managed Database
• Azure DevOps
• Azure Cognitive Search
• Serverless Python Applications with Azure Functions
• Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS)
• Git Version Control
• API / Micro Service Developmet
• Excellent SQL Skills
• Microsoft Power
We have five leadership competencies within our business that are essential to our culture and that you will need to both demonstrate and role model:
• Agility and Adaptability
• Great Communication and Collaboration Skills
• Social and Emotional Intelligence
• Transformative Thinking and Awareness
We will also ask you to embody the Kortext Company values of Passionate, Pioneering, Persistent and Personable.
You should also be:
• Self-motivated with a tenacity to succeed
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
• Excellent negotiating skills with a strong commercial acumen
• First class organisational, planning and problem solving skills
• Ability to explain and demonstrate systems Excellent customer service skills